Protection R.T.’s Underwriters’ Laboratories listed automatic fire extinguishers are designed for fixed installation in a relatively closed area. The units consists of an cylinder, a charge of extinguishant, a pressure gauge, a sprinkler head (with or without high pressure hose extensions) for automatic discharge at a specific temperature, and a wire guard to protect the sprinkler head.
The sprinkler heads are usually available in temperatures from 155F (68C) to 360F(182C).
APPLICATIONS AND COVERAGE
These automatic fire extinguishers are designed for a very broad range of applications, including marine, commercial, industrial, vehicle, electrical equipment, computer rooms or other applications to protect or to suppress a fire hazard.
Some of the typical types of hazards or equipment these units will protect include:-
- Gaseous or liquid flammable materials, e.g. chemical storage, hydrocarbons, acids, alcohols etc.
- Marine applications for protecting the engine room and other accessories.
- Vehicle applications to protect the engine compartment or other closed areas;-e.g. recreation vehicles, buses, trucks, racing cars etc.
- Electrical hazards such as transformers, oil switches, circuit breakers and rotating equipment.
- Ordinary combustibles such as paper, wood and textiles.